Monday 7 November 2011

Outreach Yoga Challenge - Day 28 Beautiful Fall

After experimenting with organic red wine, I can safely say that I did not have the usual sledgehammer feeling when my eyes peeled open and I unstuck the crusty yogurt lid from my cheek. I hadn't lost my phone, my purse was still full of cash, and my heels were not covered in dirty chewing gum. I did however have a strange man in my apt, some things just don't change hey Laura? The small headache was eliminated within half an hour with some hot lemon water, a fresh papaya fruit salad, some stretching and groaning in the shower and a little more Francais. Not necessarily in that order :)

Something about the fresh cold air in Vancouver, the sky is blue, the sun shines, its cold and so colourful outside, autumn is simply divine. Walking around my neighbourhood looking up at the trees, feeling grateful to be here, looking out to the mountains and smiling at the snow that cups the tops and knowing that I'm part of this world, I'm part of that mountain, I'm part of you. You're part of me. What does Autumn make you feel like, share with me? I LOVE RED! Isn't it amazing the colours of this season?? Ever notice how the veggies are the same??

The waterfront is blissful, I live not too far from Jericho beach, and being able to wander down to the sands through the many small parks on the waterfront, kick some leaves, practice some Nature yoga, and just BE is heaven. Heaven is here on this earth for us to enjoy whilst we are alive folks, so don't waste time thinking about the place you think you're headed when you die. What matters is RIGHT NOW. Lao Tzu wise words tell us....

Heaven and earth last forever.
The reason why heaven and earth last forever
is that they do not live for themselves.
Hence, they last forever.
Therefore, the True Person leaves self behind
and thus is found in front,
is not guarded and thus is preserved,
is self-free and thus is able to find fulfilment.





Reverse Warrior:
From Warrior II pose (with the right knee bent), bring the left hand down to rest on the left leg. Inhale the right arm up towards the ceiling, and reach the fingers away from each other. Look straight ahead or up at the ceiling. Keep the right knee bent, pressing into the feet with the legs strong. Sink the hips down toward the floor and relax the shoulders.  Breathe and hold for 2-6 breaths. To release: inhale the arms parallel to the floor coming back into Warrior II. Repeat on other side. Benefits + Contraindications: Benefits: Reverse Warrior stretches the side of the torso and arm, opens the hips and builds lower body strength. Contraindications: Recent or chronic injury to the hips, back or shoulders.
Find the Warrior within you!

After a morning of LOVING this city. I spent the afternoon reading and relaxing some good R&R time. I gave Tamsin (my landlady) and her cute little girl Gabrielle who is 5 a private kids yoga lesson. I really enjoyed adapting the flow of the lesson and getting in touch with the kid inside us (not hard for me I LOVE SILLY!) We did some body shaking, rag dolls, downward dog tail wagging, butterfly wing flapping, table tops, snakes, tickle toes and giraffe heads. Its funny as Gabrielle was really really good and flexible and soooo fragile, but the pose she got into the most was savasana! She seemed to love the chill out and the foot and head rub, and she even helped me do mums. I really enjoyed it, and it helped me understand how kids work in Yoga, and how to keep their attention. Next time, I will have to insist on no eating cheese in 3 legged downward dog :) How did she do that anyway??? Hahahahaa! Get your kids into yoga, keep their bodies supple, its great bonding time for parents and its good for your soul. Its so great to watch your kids having fun doing something that is so good for their wellbeing without them even knowing, it means you get to practice to.

TURN OFF THE TV AND GET A YOGA MAT. I had a good chat with my sister back in the UK, absorbing the love and getting the best pose EVER from her gorgeous new baby Blossom.

HAPPY BABY pose has never been done so well in history, thanks Blossom you are a Yogini in the making! Love xxx

Thanks for following the challenge, if you'd like to make a donation for Outreach a charity who supports helping youth at risk by bringing Yoga into their lives, please make a donation here:
http://www.canadahelps.org/GivingPages/GivingPage.aspx?gpID=14769

No comments:

Post a Comment